Thursday, September 20, 2007

YES!

Tuesday is the big day. Early in the morning, the container with our belongings will hit the road to Albany. I will be busy the rest of the week sifting the chaos. I can hardly wait! Ever since the good news arrived this afternoon I am suffering from exhileration attacks, much to the distress of my student, who is sitting at the kitchen table desperately trying to focus on a take-home exam.

Yesterday though, the world looked much different. In an attempt to be a good wife, I took one of these extremely sharp IKEA knives (no, not what you are thinking!) to cut my beloved a big chunk of water melon. The stupid knife went straight into my left thumb instead, thoroughly. Luckily, stiches weren't needed. After some stuporous attempts, we managed to stop the bleeding and apply a bandage. In the morning, Yair listened to the story, examined my thumb closely, and concluded: "Like Johannes!" Well, not quite...

Yair's English is slowly, slowly emerging (while he is still blowing my mind with his astounding improvement in German ever since we visited my family in early August), I believe, at least as a possibility. Yesterday after lunch, he suddenly exclaimed: "Standop, standop!" "Standop? Who says that?" "Elaine!" (his nursery school teacher) "And do you know what that means?" Fiercely shaking his head. "It means stand up." Later that day, at bedtime: "Hey, do you still remember what 'stand up' means?" Yair, swollen with pride: "Stand up!"
Well, well. I admit telling this story in English does not really help the plot, but you get the idea.

In the meantime, we are preparing ourselves for Yom Kippur. The apartment is spick and span, the fridge full (for the stopping meal, of course!), the time for cooking set aside. An easy fast to everyone, and Gmar Chatima Tova!

2 comments:

Skye Frontier said...

Oh it must feel so good to have your familiar things again. And yet, perhaps it is somewhat strange to see them in such a new and foreign setting.

San Francisco sounds (and looks) amazing. If you're trying to tempt me, I think it might be working.

BART, eh? Catchy acronym. Be careful of those knives. Watermelons, yes. Fingers, no. And domestic disputes that get somewhat out of hand, definitely not.

Miss you so much!
Andre

Jeanne said...

Oh, I miss you too. I really hope you're going to show up here sooner or later, at least for a visit!