Thursday, November 8, 2007

Fender bender

And another nuisance. Three weeks ago, this woman bumped into my car. I was returning from school, with Yair sitting in the back, just taking a turn to drive into our parking space. She was backing out of hers, not checking her mirrors or looking over her shoulder (I just passed my driving test yesterday) when she crashed into my car's passenger side.

Grumpy, she got out of her vehicle, asked if "the baby" was hurt, then walked back to her Nissan Pathfinder to jot down her details on a piece of paper. She shortly apologized for not having her business card with her -- they had just stolen her wallet the night before.

To keep it short: I have been in touch with the insurance on an almost daily basis ever since. At least three times I retold the story, provided all the details, even faxed over a drawing of the accident. On Friday, the appraiser finally came to assess the damage. Then yesterday it turned out they haven't even decided on liability! And why is that? Because Mrs. Neighbor claims I was backing up too! I am still too stunned to actually stay calm. This is outraging. She is either blind or bold. I suppose she is both.

By tomorrow, the insurance will close its investigation and make a decision. I don't have any proof. I just hope the pictures of the damage clearly explain who hit whom, which force actually impacted on which car. Clearly, with a damage on the passenger side, I cannot really be the one to blame. Or can I?

No comments: