Friday, November 9, 2007

Just when you least expect it...

The phone rings. You answer in a rather stroppy way because really, you cannot take another of these commercial calls that usually come in around lunch time. Donate for fire fighters. Help in the war on drugs. Keep our children off the street. And that's just when the hiring manager of the company you interviewed with is on the line, all friendly, seemingly smiling, because guess what?! She really likes you and would want you to join her team, there are just a few little issues to get out of the way beforehand. Such as the distance. How would I feel about driving 50 miles every day? Telecommuting about twice a week? Well, well. Not really common at this company. People show up in the office every day. Hard to manage someone remotely. But you know what? "Let me think about it for a while." When we hang up, I realize that I haven't mentioned I would also like a reduction in hours. Can't do it otherwise. How many hours are we talking about anyway? 40? What about 30? 32? OK, 34 at the most. When I call her back, the mail box greets me. No one home. Is she gone for the weekend? I leave her a message asking to call me back. And now I'm waiting... Should I let this opportunity pass by? Or grab it with both hands to see what comes out of it?

What did I write yesterday? I only wanted to get accepted? Well. I got accepted!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We, from here, are not surprised at all!!! Congradualtions :-).