Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The first jolt

... and I missed it.

Shortly after 8 p.m., my student calls, all excited. "Did you feel the earthquake?" Which earthquake? No idea. What is he talking about? I was getting the little man ready for bed. Stunned, my student shouts: "What do you mean, you didn't feel it? The whole building was shaking!" Really?

A few minutes later, a chat message pops up on my computer screen. Anke from around the corner. "Hi Jeanne! Was this your first earthquake in the Bay Area?" Well... maybe I did miss something?

I switch on the television. KRON TV is broadcasting a special news program. About an earthquake in the Bay Area. Magnitude: 5.6. Now that convinces me something was going on beyond my perception. But honestly -- I don't mind having missed it.

May earthquakes always pass us by unnoticed...

No comments: